Kenedy, the left-sided forward, has returned to Chelsea for good, we can confirm.
Watford recruited the Brazil Under-20 international in the summer on a season-long loan but he has been restricted to just 15 minutes of action on that otherwise forgettable night at Turf Moor. He made the squads against Manchester United and Bournemouth, either side of the game with Burnley, but he has not been seen in a Watford shirt since.
He sustained a knee injury in training on October 10 and that has kept him out of Walter Mazzarri’s plans. It had been first thought that Kenedy had returned to Stamford Bridge for treatment, like Loic Remy has done after picking a hamstring problem at Crystal Palace, but we are told the 20-year-old will not be returning to the Watford training ground in London Colney.
Mazzarri was, we are told by sources close to the head coach, not particularly sold on the player’s attitude as well as unsure of what his best position is.
“Kenedy is a a very young and interesting player who has got great potential,” said Mazzarri in September. “I am still trying to decide where he can provide quality. In the next couple of weeks I will evaluate where he can perform best for us.”
With injuries and suspensions biting hard, Watford may look to use the loan market again in January. They are loath to sign players permanently in the winter window and risk mixed success like they did in last season’s January spree. They are limited to two season-long domestic loans and only one from the same club. They can make unlimited foreign loan signings but can only name a maximum of 17 foreign players in their Premier League squad which is resubmitted at the end of January.